Week 8, March - 5pt

March was a great read, I really enjoyed the storyline, the historical similarities and the portrayal of the events that occurred during the Civil Rights Movement. The story starts with a family visiting the white house and visiting John Lewis, a Civil Rights Leader and U.S. Congressmen in his office who recounts his past. A moment I really enjoyed was when the author shared John's childhood and love for animals and chickens. When I was little I had a similar reaction when I realized the chicken meat we were eating from dinner came from the live animal birds. I was touched when he read the birds passages from the bible. Later on in the comic, John Lewis had the opportunity to fight to go to an all white college with Martin Luther backing him, but he ended up stepping down and not following through. I agree with John Lewis's decision as there were a lot of white people threatening blacks, to damage their property, hurt them, hurt their families, and threatening to kill. By John Lewis choosing to pick his battles, he was able to stand up during the civil rights movement and make a difference. They began sitting in at local diners and restaurants to protest only whites sitting there. I really enjoyed the club created where students would practice what the enemy or white supremacists would say to them. By practicing, they were able to get better and learn how to resist fighting or talking back when people provoked or began beating them up. 



Comments

Popular Posts